Map of Manhattan showing the neighborhoods
Questions/to do (working in pairs, aim to do this in 2 two-hour sessions!):
- What does "ethnicity" mean, and what do "race" and "ethnicity" mean in the context of the USA?
- Describe briefly the important events and notable places associated with the five "boroughs" of NYC.
- What is a "neighborhood" (are neighborhoods only found in NYC)?
- Research a neighborhood of NYC (cf. map above for Manhattan) and (in your own words!) describe it: extent, type of housing, public buildings and facilities (including those used for religious activities), history, identity, demography, activities, dominant ethnic group, social relations, etc.
- How important a factor is religion in defining the ethnicity of the dominant group in the neighborhood you have described do you think?
- Make two lists which compare and contrast the NYC neighborhood you have described and the area you live in!
- Choose a film set in NYC and describe how neighborhood relations are depicted.
- What are the most important places in NYC as regards religion?
- Think about the implications of 9/11 on religiosity in the USA and on relations between communities in NYC, then send a comment to one of the following blog posts: How do New Yorkers commemorate 9/11?; Controversy over the building of a mosque near Ground Zero; Did 9/11 change the way New Yorkers consider their cultural heritage?
- Comment the THE NEW YORKER cover below: