Fats Domino, Johnny Halliday, Ray Sugar Robinson (1962)
Click HERE to read an article from The Guardian!
Questions on the article from The Guardian:
- What is “the tragedy of Johnny Hallyday”?
- Why should he “have sung Piaf, not Presley”?
- What does “purveyor of pastiche” mean?
- Why was he “mercilessly teased by French satirists and despised by the many tribes of French intellectuals, both of the right and the left”?
- Are there aspects of American culture that French intellectuals do admire (why)?
- Do you agree he was “one of the most remarkable of all rock stars”?
- In what way is he “a symbol of French cultural resistance”?
- Do you, like De Gaulle, condemn him as a fifth columnist for “American cultural imperialism”?
- Do you agree “France is a grown-up country that does not have to rely on US missiles or US pop stars”?
- Why is France so afraid of cultural colonisation by the US do you think?